"Elements" Photozine


Here is the link to the photozine:

https://heyzine.com/flip-book/de7a851f0a.html

Concept:

My main attempt was to portray the 4 elements in the types of photography that were listed to us as options.

As someone that likes neutral themed clothing, I decided Earth would be fit for Fashion photography. The concepts I had for the fashion photography sets always included literal earth in them and upon developing the idea more and more, I settled that it would be a very Catalogue type fashion shoot and the set design would give it an essence of High Fashion. 

For the Portraits, I decided to use the two elements quite commonly associated with emotions, which are what you are trying to capture in a portrait essentially, Water and Fire. I decided to continue with the literal use of the elements in  photography and for water, I was inspired by a series of photos by Annie Liebovitz and Cho GiSeok and made my own version of milk baths in my nephews inflatable kiddie pool. For Fire, other than the movie poster for "Portrait of a Lady on Fire", I was actually going through videos I had taken in Thailand last year of a fire show on a beach and decided the literal fire would come into play. 

When I came to the third category, I actually chose it based on what would suit Air as an element. I thought of assigning it to portraits at first and doing a photoshoot with Cloud props made of cotton but then I decided to try my hand at photo manipulation as it was something that would challenge me slightly and also allow for more creative freedom, especially considering the element.

Self Evaluation:

I personally like the final images and am glad I could achieve that much in such a short amount of time. I managed to paint the walls in time and spent a whole day shovelling dirt for the set up.

The Fire element for my portrait photography did not end up going the way I wanted to as a wind storm started the second I let the cotton on fire and my lights began flying away and sand from the Fashion shoot (Which took place on the same day) ended up getting everywhere and a light drizzle started aswell.

I had to go out of town which is why I had only 2 days to take all the pictures and reshoots were not an option, I was also editting certain images until the very last minute of the deadline, which is why I feel that my photo manipulation pictures could have been slightly better, they do not have the sense of realism I wanted to incorporate into them, but considering all the external factors, I am pretty glad that I got to take pictures at all. 

I'm glad I could learn a lot from the artists I admire and have a first attempt at trying to create my own works of art with an essence of the inspiration I took from them.

Some images from the Zine:






Comments

Popular Posts