Audio Assignment


 


The Great Wave Off Kanagawa by Hokusai

The Great Wave is a woodblock print by an edo-period Japanese artist Hokusai in his series featuring thirty-six views of fuji-san (Mount Fuji).

Why did I choose this print?

I have had an obsession with this print for as long as I can remember. I'm someone who is very "one-with-the-water". My mother used to always have a hard time pulling me out of the pool and random puddles around the house so I tried to bring to life the sound of the waves from my favourite print.

What is that you can see from this picture?

Starting from the very back of the print, we see mount fuji. Infront of it a giant wave is forming over three boats, threatening to devour the vessels. The most notable part for me is the sea foam that is present in the print.

What sounds you can hear from this picture?

The most evident sound for me would be the water reeling back and rising into a wave and wind in the background as we can see clouds in the print.

What are the sounds you are imagining in this picture?

I can hear the waves flowing and then slowly reeling back and pulling the ships with it, proceeding to turn into a giant wave with wind howling in the background and oars pattering on the water and droplets of the seafoam and water pattering onto the wooden ships.

With each of the oars pulling the boat forward, I would imagine a grunt emerging from the sailors due to the struggle between them and the tide.


Comments

Popular Posts